Friday, September 16, 2011

week 1: post 2

Researches and Editors of the New York Times, "M.F. Husain News", New York Post, July 1st 2011. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/mf_husain/index.html?scp=3&sq=hindu&st=cse

This information was compiled by various editors and researchers for the New York Times, which I believe happened in this manner because Maqbool Fida Husain (M.F. Husain) just recently passed away, and as with other famous people, the New York Times makes a page full of information about each person.

The main thing discussed in Husain's biography is how his art affected so many people and caused quite the uproar. A few of these accusations seemed so bizzare to me. First off, he went to court 3 times over the fact that he drew a goddess representing India naked. I only have my background in Christian churches to draw comparisons from, but when I think of pictures of Jesus drawn, he is without much clothing either. I agree with Husain in his statement that this makes the goddess/painting [pure]. The fact that this went to court was what surprised me the most. I never realized, or noticed, that other countries might not follow the idea of separation of church and state like America does. Or that the 1st amendment (freedom of speech, or in this case artistry) wouldn't apply in other countries (duh to me, I know.). As an ending statement, the article talked about how Husain's pieces were not shown at a recent art show due to the fact the organizers didn't want to spark any religious attacks. Again, cue my "but what about the first amen...ohhhh yeahhhh" thought.
Basically, just based on the fact that this article did surprise me so much is a good indication of how our countries laws and ideas are so deeply ingrained in me, that I don't automatically figure out that of course other countries aren't going to follow these same principles. Feel free to call me ignorant, I willingly admit that already, but I will defend myself as being culturally sensitive which I think is more important considering I can always gain knowledge, and I'd have less ignorance, but cultural sensitivity can't be taught in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment