Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oh boy... Al-Qaeda on bin Laden.

I really have been trying to separate Al-Qaeda from Islam/Muslims in my head ever since this class started. It hasn't been so hard to do, because as I've mentioned before, I'm pretty ignorant about world politics and world issues and basically anything outside of this Gustavus bubble.

Anyway, this story, seen on the website USA Today as a blog post (written by 'The Associated Press') was a brief description of the Video that Al-Qaeda's new leader made, reflecting on what kind of a person bin Laden was. I can't help but get so fired up that he refers to bin Laden being so proud of the 19 men who died in the 9/11 attack all in the name of Allah (jihad=holy war). Did we not just learn that the Muslim faith is accepting of other religious beliefs? (read our assignment for tomorrow, 'Those who reject the faith' on the last page)

This is the main problem and the main reason why Muslims and Islam in general have such a negative connotation in America. I'm stating the obvious, I know. But if there was something POSITIVE in the news about Muslims or if people would attend ONE lecture that talked about how Al-Qaeda is not solely awful because they happen to be Muslims...I think that could do a lot of good for open-minded people. When only negative things are said, it's hard to think any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment